Why use Music Therapy with Seniors?
Music therapy provides relief from
- Lack of stimulation
Music therapy provides emotional, cognitive, social and spiritual support for people experiencing:
- Strokes or other conditions that effect communication abilities
- Intellectual Challenges
- Conditions like Parkinson’s, and Multiple Sclerosis
- Confusion and grief related to moving to a retirement home or long term care facility
- Unprocessed grief and loss
- Palliative care
Some other reasons why music therapy would be suitable:
- History with music involvement at any time in their lifetime. This may include having lived in an institution where music or music therapy was experienced. This interest may be reflected in playing an instrument, singing, dancing, listening.
Self-expression through music and singing opens doors for life processing and emotional healing.