Some Benefits of Music Therapy include:
- Increases self-esteem, self-worth and confidence
- Stimulates the whole brain and encourages holistic development
- Supports improvement in social skills
- Strengthens communication skills
- Strengthening or healing of relationships, within and without
- Sensory stimulation – hands on and full engagement
- Supports processing of life’s experiences
- Explore spiritual interests
- Singing increases oxygen to the longs and brain
- Supports language skills development and speech relearning after a stroke
How does it work?
Music therapist assesses the client, while establishing a therapeutic relationship. Choices are discussed as to ways to approach the client’s target area. The particular approach used is in tune with the client’s interests and needs, in consultation with parents and health care professionals or teachers as needed.
Depending on the client’s age, condition, and living setting, sessions may be held in clinical setting, in a facility or at home. Depending on the client and the issues involved, sessions may be ongoing or short term.